Image Map

Monday, March 19, 2012

Made By Me Monday #1: DIY Candle Holders

I am so excited to show off our candle holders that were inspired by this tutorial on "stained glass" votive holders! I got together with my mom and my sister to create some custom candle holders of our own! Here are our pictures! I will show you all the pictures and then I will give you the tutorials!


My creations!

Tutorials:

For all of the candles that are featured in this post, I went and bought basic candle holders from the dollar store.

Candle Holder in Back of Picture: I'll start with the candle in the back of the picture first:
Materials: Candle holder, 1 spool of twine, and a little bit of hot glue

Step 1) Put a little bit of hot glue on the end of the twine and glue it down to the bottom of the candle holder.
Step 2) Wrap the twine up the candle holder (I put a little bit of hot glue on the rope at random spots along the way while winding the rope up so that it would stick better)


Step 3) Once you get the twine wrapped to where you want it, put a dab of glue on the end and enjoy your new candle holder!

Here is the finished piece!


Candle Holder on Right of Picture:
This one was probably one of the easiest (even though they were all easy!) and again, I started with a dollar store candle holder!
Other materials: Mod Podge and tissue paper (I got that kind with the beautiful pattern from my local Hallmark store!)

Step 1) Cover the outside of the candle holder in mod podge.


Step 2) Apply the tissue paper over the mod podge.


Step 3) Trim the excess tissue paper off (I used a razor for this but if you are doing this craft with children I would suggest letting them use safety scissors or doing it for them). 


Step 4) Once the first layer of mod podge and tissue has dried, cover the outside of the tissue paper with another layer of mod podge, let it dry, and you are done!

Here is the finished product:


Candle Holder on Left of Picture:
Again, I started with a dollar store vase! I actually used the same process as I did for the candle on the right side of the picture.

Step 1) Once I had finished the mod podge and tissue paper process, I grabbed some gold mesh-like ribbon and hot glued the beginning of the ribbon down to the jar.


Step 2) I continued hot gluing the ribbon down to the jar until it was all the way wrapped around and well secured and thats it!

Here is the finished product:


I hope you guys enjoyed my tutorials! Here are some pictures of my mom and my sisters creations as well!

My mom's creation! She used hot glue, the mesh-like ribbon, and some bamboo leaves from her garden :) The best part about this creation is that only the top and bottom of the ribbon are glued down so she can use the mesh part of the ribbon to attach things to! How genius!


And this, is my sister's beautiful creation! She used hot glue, some hollow, dead sticks from outside, some bamboo leaves, and a little bit of twine!  I love the look of this one and I must say I'm a little jealous that I did not think of this!

I would love to see what you guys create so send me some links to you cool candle holder projects!


 photo TheWellCraftedHome_zps26a4d5c3.png

16 comments:

  1. Very pretty! It's always fun to see what a group comes up with and one idea seems to lead to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya! We had a blast! My mom came up with the mesh like ribbon and it turned out to be my favorite one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really pretty! It's nice that each one is different. I'd love for you to stop by Etcetorize to share your great ideas (http://etcetorize.blogspot.ca/2012/03/make-it-great-monday_25.html). Party is on now, hope to see you there~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so freaking cute! And sounds so easy to make. You could go to goodwill for glass vessels on the cheap too. I really like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Ya i found the vases at the dollar store and "splurged" on the tissue paper (it was almost 3 dollars but its so cute!) This is definitely a cheap project! I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  5. Love these ideas! I need to buy some holders from the dollar store now and get crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty and fresh mfor spring. Thanks for sharing at Handmade Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just popped over from Somewhat Simple blog hop. These are beautiful, I love the gold mesh. Thanks for sharing!

    Kelly, herringbone lane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking up at Etcetorize last week. I like your candle holders so much that I'll be featuring them at tonight's party! I hope you'll stop by to grab a featured button and link up again~

    ReplyDelete
  9. very very cute!!! Thank you so much for the inspiration and for linking up!!!
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all three!! I will definetely be trying the twine one and tissue paper one. I recenlty bought some nice twine to cover a monogram letter that I made. This is perfect. Thank you hun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been dying to make a twine covered monogram letter! I would love to see yours when you are finished!

      Delete
  11. These are beautiful! Thanks for Sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so lovely! I am loving that mesh ribbon, and using dollar store supplies is always the besssst! ;)
    ♥♥Monica
    mon makes things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not agree more! I love making inexpensive things look expensive! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. These candle holders are beautiful! My favorite of the three is the twine candle holder...The best part of these little beauties is their price! Thank you for inspiring my creative mojo with these tutorials.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for responding to my post! I would love to hear your feedback!